Ski Chalet (Wax Room)
The Ski Chalet is the center of activity at the club. At all times of the day you'll find club members here waxing their skis, socializing or possibly attending a special event such as the popular Wax and Wine evenings.
What's in the Ski Chalet?
- Ski Base Service Centre - trail passes and memberships, rentals, repairs, waxing and other services
- Ski Racks for day storage of skis and poles
- Waxing benches, irons, electrical plug-ins, ski forms and ski vices
- Thermometer for checking the current air temperature
- Ski Lockers - a limited supply for long term storage
- Trail Maps
- Wax Of The Day Board - updated daily along with waxing tips
- Trail Report - updated daily
- Small kitchen area for preparing hot drinks and snacks - fridge, hotplate and microwave
- Area for socializing with couches, tables and chairs
- Information bulletin boards displaying programs, events, activities
- Trading Post Board showing used ski equipment for sale
- Wireless internet - ask at the ski club office
- Lost and Found
- Change rooms, showers and saunas
- Access to Curling Club lounge - open to members and day pass holders
Wax Room Available for Rent
The Wax Room is available for groups and individuals to rent for meetings, activities and events. During the winter season the Wax Room is available on Saturday and Sunday evenings after 6:00 p.m. and from May to October it is available by the hour, day or week. For more information.
Wax Room Expansion and Renovation
Over the last few years the ski club board has discussed expanding the wax room to accomodate more ski storage, ventilated glide wax area, meeting space and so on. The busy start to this season has made it clear that we need more room for waxing, storage and for socializing.
The City of Whitehorse is providing funding through the Facility Grant that will cover most of the cost of design work. Kobayashi + Zedda have been contracted to provide the design which can be viewed by clicking the link below.
Club members are welcome to send comments and provide suggestions to improve the design or to change it. It's also important for the board to know if you prefer the status quo.
A committee was established in September and they met to begin the process of designing a plan for expanding the Wax Room. The committee made the following conclusions:
Maintain a club atmosphere that is a family friendly place, a gathering place and a destination place.
Keep in mind the health aspects of the club e.g. a ventilated hot waxing area.
Maintain an open connection between the grip waxing area and the rest of the space to allow conversation and socializing.
Create a year round space for use by other recreation groups such as Orienteering, disc golf, and mountain bikers.
Maintain view and light.
Maintain or expand the area for grip waxing;
Add a ventilated hot wax area;
Continue providing space for a pro-shop;
Continue providing food prep facilities;
Include a kid’s area;
Widen outside stairs;
Set aside area to reflect history of club;
Increase ski storage area (possibly twice the capacity);
Multi-use office for meetings, training, stretching, ski squad use;
Eliminate North entrance;
Change entrance doors to face north;
Continuous walkway from stairs to new entrance;
Lengthen windows to allow for better view [if economically feasible];
Consider redesigning plumbing, electrical and phone lines so that the kitchen area can be moved and there is flexibility in locating office space;
Joint effort with Curling Club to expand their office and deck with a ski club expansion on the lower level;
Consider a two level expansion at north end of building;
Keep in mind possible inclusion of connector to Canada Games Centre;
Relocate ski storage to other part of building or a basement
Your input is welcome and needed. Please use the email contact below to give us your ideas.
For more information please send us an email message or call the ski club office and leave a message at 668-4477.